GLAD is at the cutting edge of the historic fight for full equality and justice. Through impact litigation, education and public policy work, GLAD’s precedent-setting work has established anti-discrimination laws for transgender, gay, lesbian and bisexual people and protected the rights of those with HIV throughout New England.
GLAD is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from transgender persons, people of color, and individuals with disabilities, including HIV.
GLAD has a commitment to communication, diversity, team work, results orientation, and collaboration and has classified these as core values that are integral to fulfilling our mission. The core values apply to all levels and positions in the organization. Each employee is encouraged to find ways to integrate the core values in their day to day work.
- Communicates in a clear, concise manner, communicates effectively verbally and in writing as required; and learns through listening.
- Promotes diversity at GLAD through practice and example and seeks ways to foster diversity within the framework of the position.
- Works in a team dynamic demonstrating leadership, offers good “followship”, offers insight, and shows flexibility in all areas.
- Creates results, meets deadlines, completes tasks in a timely manner, is dependable and accountable for their work and requests help for tasks as needed.
- Collaborates well across job lines, increases lines of communication and fosters cooperation among departments and outside organizations.
Operations Assistant (part time/20 hrs per week)
The Operations Assistant provides key support to the organization, including reception, general office management and clerical support and other administrative tasks & special projects. Hours for the position are 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
Experience in a professional office setting, a welcoming and professional demeanor, good written and verbal communication skills, the ability to track and complete tasks in a fast-paced environment. Must be organized with demonstrated proficiency with programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Knowledge of QuickBooks or other accounting software a plus.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide phone and front desk coverage, ensuring that all callers and guests are greeted courteously and assisted in a timely manner
- Help manage (recruit, train) a small group of reception volunteers and coordinate back-up reception coverage
- Ensure reception area and surrounding common spaces (kitchen, supply room, etc.) are kept neat and organized
- Maintain and manage shared resources, such as the conference rooms, fax, copiers and other equipment
- Mail bill payments and file paid invoices; enter receipts and other information into accounting software
- Provide general support to the Operations Manager (e.g., compose and communicate general announcements to staff, manage and supervise all office orders and deliveries) and the department
- Assist CFO with special projects.
- Other duties as assigned
Reports to: Senior Manager of Administration & Operations.
Salary $20,373.60 ($19.59/hr) and excellent benefits include ability to enroll in GLAD’s health and dental plans; 401(k) with employer contribution; three weeks paid vacation; and supportive and friendly work environment dedicated to groundbreaking achievement for the LGBT and HIV communities.
GLAD is dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from transgender persons, people of color, and individuals with disabilities, including HIV.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume via e-mail to Beth Grierson, Senior Manager of Operations and Administration firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Operations Assistant” in the subject line.
Only applications with both a cover letter and a resume will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
GLAD’s Legal Assistants provide key support for GLAD’s seven attorneys in advancing the mission and goals of the organization. The Legal Assistant performs legal and social science research, drafts research memoranda, prepares court documents and correspondence, and proofreads and checks citations for complex legal documents. In addition, the Legal Assistant performs regular administrative tasks such as coordinating meetings and travel, filing and maintaining records, scanning, copying, preparing expense reports, and providing phone coverage. This position offers an excellent opportunity to learn about the litigation process and the legal issues affecting the LGBTQ community and people living with HIV.
Qualified candidates will have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional work experience; strong written and oral communication skills; proven research abilities; and proficiency in Microsoft Office. The ideal candidate will be proactive, organized, and attentive to details. The ability to work cooperatively in a team is essential to the Legal Assistant work setting. In addition, the ideal candidate will be able to prioritize multiple activities in a fast-paced environment and read, analyze, interpret, and summarize legal and social science documents, including case law and statutes. Familiarity with the legal system is helpful but not required.
$38,200 plus excellent benefits: three weeks of paid vacation, fully paid health and dental insurance, and disability insurance.
To apply, please send the following materials (Separate PDF documents required):
- Cover letter (no more than one page) addressed to Ben Klein, Senior Attorney and AIDS Law Project Director. Please do not restate your resume.
- Writing sample (no more than 5 pages)
Please send materials to email@example.com. Emails should contain the subject line “Legal Assistant Application.” Please indicate in your application specifically where you learned of the position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, and no video resumes please.
Interns are hired on an academic schedule — for the entire school year, an individual semester, or the summer. Summer internships are full time; academic year internships are part time (10-15 hrs/wk). All GLAD internships are unpaid.